Humanities, Social Science, Education Head
Professor of Library Science
Purdue University Libraries HSSE
504 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2058
Phone: (765) 494-6199
M.A., University of Iowa, Library Science, 1974
B.S., Valparaiso University, Education, 1967
2009-date, Education Librarian, Purdue University Libraries, Professor of Library Science
2005-2009, Humanities, Social Science and Education Head Librarian, Purdue University Libraries
2003-2005, Interim Humanities, Social Science and Education Librarian, Purdue University Libraries
1993-2005, Management & Economics Librarian, Purdue University Libraries
1984-1993, Consumer & Family Sciences Librarian, Purdue University Libraries
1982-1984, Reference Librarian & Business Specialist, University of Arizona Libraries
1976-1982, Reference Librarian and Reference Coordinator, University of Wisconsin-Platteville Libraries
1974-1976, Reference Librarian, Cedar Rapids Public Library, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1968-1969, Teacher, U.S. Peace Corps in the Kingdom of Tonga
- Bracke, Marianne Stowell, Sharon A. Weiner, and Judith M. Nixon. "Criteria for Evaluating Journals in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and the Life Sciences," International Journal for SoTL, accepted for publication in July 2012 issue.
- Nixon, Judith M., "Annual Reports at Academic Business Libraries: An open access database of ARSs," Academic Brass, 6(1): 2011. http://www.ala.org/rusa/sections/brass/brasspubs/academicbrass/academicbrass
- Nixon , Judith M., "A Reprise, Or Round Three: Using a Database Management Program as a Decision-Support System for the Cancellation of Serials," The Serials Librarian, 59 (3-4): 1-11, 2010.
- Nixon, Judith M., "Annual Reports to Shareholders: Historical Collections in Libraries." College & Research Libraries, 71 (Nov): 1-7, 2010.
- Nixon, Judith M., Robert S. Freeman, and Suzanne M. Ward. "Patron-Driven Acquisition: An Introduction and Literature Review," Collection Management, 33 (3-4): 119-124, 2010.
- Anderson, Kristine J., Robert S. Freeman, Jean-Pierre v. M. Hérubel, Lawrence J. Mykytiuk, Judith M. Nixon, and Suzanne M. Ward. "Liberal Arts Books on Demand: A Decade of Patron-Driven Collection Development, Part 1," Collection Management, 33 (3-4): 119-124, 2010.
- Nixon, Judith M. and E. Stewart Saunders. "A Study of Circulation Statistics of Books: A Decade of Patron-Driven Collection Development, Part 3," Collection Management, 33 (3-4): 119-124, 2010.
- Nixon, Judith M. "How Scholars Work: Panning for Gold in Libraries," Reference & User Services Quarterly, 49 (3) 231:233, 2010.
- Nixon, Judith M. "The Right Book on the Right Shelf: Missing and Misshelved Books—How Bar Code Scanning Inventories Can Solve the Patrons’ Dilemma," Collection Management, 34(4): 276-284, 2009.
- Nixon, Judith M. editor of "Management" column in Reference & User Services Quarterly, 2006-2009.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Grow Your Own Leaders: Succession Planning in Libraries," Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 13(3): 249-260, 2008.
- Nixon, Judith M. and Kirkwood, Hal P. "Mind Your Own Business": Library Journal (Nov. 1, 2004): 49-52.
- "Are Reference Librarians Headed for Extinction? (Not Likely!)" Business Community News (Sept, 2003).
- "Honey, I Shrank the Business Library!" Business Community News (Nov, 2003).
- "Read, Write and Network: Sage Advice from an Experienced Business Librarian" Business Community News (Jan. 2004). Reprinted in infoEdge: Resources for Tomorrow's Information Leaders, 5:1 (Spring 2004): 2-3.
- "Thomson Research" and "Gale Group Trade & Industry Database" in Introduction to Online Market & Industry Research edited by Cynthia L. Shannel (Thomson/Texere, 2004).
- Anderson, K. J., Freeman, R.S., Herubel, J. P., Mykytiuk, L. M., Nixon, J. M., and Ward, S. M. "Buy Don't Borrow: Bibliographers' Analysis of Academic Library Collection Development Through Interlibrary Loan Requests." Collection Management, 27 (3): 1-11, 2003.
- Nixon, Judith M. (forthcoming), "Developing a Virtual Library for an Overseas Campus." Resource Sharing & Information Networks.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Krannert Special Collection: The Story of Treasures in Economics at Purdue University and How They Found Their Way to Indiana." Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, 8(1): 3-25, 2002.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Using a Database Management Program as a Decision Support System for the Cancellation of Business Periodicals and Serials.&" Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship Vol. 5 (4): 3-21, 2000.
- Nixon, Judith M. "A Library Staff Becomes a Team." Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship Vol. 4 (2): 31-47, 1999.
- Nixon, Judith M. Organization Charts, 2d ed. (Detroit, MI: Gale Research). 1996.
- Nixon, Judith M. Hotel and Restaurant Industries: A Bibliography and Information Sourcebook, 2d ed. (W. Lafayette, IN: RHIMI Purdue University). 1993.
- Nixon, Judith M. "On-line Searching and the Hospitality Industry: An Evaluation of Databases." Journal of Hospitality & Leisure Marketing. 1(1): 25-38, 1992.
- Nixon, Judith M. Organization Charts, 1st ed. (Detroit, MI: Gale Research). 1992.
- Hawbaker, A. Craig and Nixon, Judith M. Industry and Company Information (Ann Arbor, MI: Pierian Press). 1991.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Online Searching for Human Nutrition: An Evaluation of Databases." Medical Reference Services Quarterly. 8(3): 27-35, Autumn 1989.
- Nixon, Judith M. Hotel and Restaurant Industries: An Information Sourcebook (Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press). 1988.
- Nixon, Judith M., editor. Lodging And Restaurant Index (A quarterly periodical index) (West Lafayette, IN: RHIMI, Purdue University) 1985-1993.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Law and the Undergraduate." Reference Services Review. 12(1): 77-87, Spring 1984.
- Nixon, Judith M. "Legal Reference Service in the Public Library: A Guide to Primary-Source Legal Material." RQ. 24(2): 195-203, Winter 1984.
American Library Association, Reference and User Services Association, Business Reference & Services:
Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Chair, Past Chair, 1994/95-1996/97
Business Reference Sources Committee, Chair 1992/93-1993/94, 1998/99-1999/00
Members Publication List, editor
Members Directory, editor
John H. Moriarty Award for Excellence in Library Service to the Faculty and Students of Purdue University, 1989.
Gale Research Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship, 1994.
Spanish: Reading basic, Writing basic, Speaking basic