Access to Electronic Resources
Access to certain electronic resources (databases and websites) may be restricted to the Purdue University community (currently enrolled students, faculty and staff) due to licensing and copyright agreements with vendors and publishers.
If you are using a computer on campus that is connected to the Purdue campus network, you will be connected automatically to library electronic resources; no log-in is required. Campus computers are granted automatic access to library electronic resources because they have a Purdue IP address.
In order to access our resources from off-campus, you will need to sign-in to the libraries proxy server. The method you use to sign-in will vary based upon the type of resource you are trying to access.
- Off-Campus Database Access
- Click on the Database from the Database List
- Login with your Purdue Career Account and Password
- Use the database just as you would on campus.
- Off-Campus Journal Access
- Navigate to the Journals Search page located under FIND > Journals
- Select the journal you want in the results list.
- Click on the vendor that provides the title.
- Login with your career account and password.
- You should be taken to the requested journal as if you were on-campus.
- Google Scholar
- You can access Purdue University Library materials from off-campus using Google Scholar through EZProzy (What is this?). EZProxy will be initiated once you click on the "Full Text at Purdue" link and attempt to access a resource.
- You must set up your library links to display the "Full Text at Purdue" link when off-campus. On campus users are recognized by their IP and no configuration is needed.
- Go to Google Scholar.
- Click on the 'Settings' gear icon that is located on the top right hand side of the screen, below the black bar.
- Type "Purdue University" into the "Library Links" box. Click on "Find Library." Search for Purdue University, and select "Purdue University Libraries - Full Text at Purdue".
- Click on "Save."
- Now the Full Text at Purdue link should appear in Google Scholar each time you run a search from off campus.
- When you click the Full Text at Purdue link you will see vendors that provide the item through the Purdue Universtiy Libraries.
- Click on a vendor to access the article. Note the date of coverage on each.
- You will then need to login with your Career Account and Password.
- Then you will be taken to the article or journal just as if you were on-campus. Sometimes you may be required to browse for the specific article in an archive or table of contents. Look for a PDF link to the article.
- Browser Plugin for Off-Campus Access
- You can install the bookmarklet based on the instructions found on the Purdue Libraries Bookmarklet instruction page. Once installed you will be able to click on the bookmarklet when you have arrived at an electronic resource page from off campus without using any of the methods mentioned in the other sections. After clicking the link, the page you are currently on will then be re-loaded through the proxy server and you will have access to the resource as if you were on campus.
BoilerKey: When accessing library electronic resources off-campus, you will be asked to use BoilerKey. If you have issues with your BoilerKey, please contact ITaP for assistance (email@example.com or (765) 494-4000) or refer to this page for more information.
Connecting Through VPN
Unfortunately due to our campus license agreements and the VPN IP address pool, you will not be able to access the library electronic resources when connecting through the campus VPN. Please use the methods outlined in the section above to access electronic resources off-campus.
Note: You may have to disconnect your VPN if you are experiencing difficulties accessing electronic resources when off campus. Please contact the Libraries eResources support if you have further questions.
EZProxy is a tool that will allow you to access the Libraries eResources from off-campus just as if you were on campus. When you see the login screen, you are being asked to log in to EZProxy using your career account and password.