Purdue University Libraries Open Access Publishing Fund
As part of Purdue University Libraries scholarly communication strategic goal, we “advocate the change in scholarly communication to promote economic sustainability, effective use of copyright, and open access to knowledge for all.” To this end, Purdue University Libraries has established the Purdue University Libraries Open Access Publishing Fund. This pilot project seeks to support Purdue University research and engagement by directly supporting open access publishing, much of which is already happening at Purdue. By supporting Open Access scholarly outputs, this fund functions to both support research activities at Purdue University, as well as to increase discovery and visibility of Purdue University research outputs.
Any current Purdue University faculty member, researcher, post-doc, staff, or graduate student who do not have available funds that can be used for open access charges may apply for funding of up to $2000 per article to pay for article processing fees.
- Funding is limited to Purdue University, West Lafayette campus.
- Authors are limited to one funding disbursement per academic year.
- First-time applicants will get preference for funding.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are submitted. Selection and funding rests under the purview of the Administrators of the Purdue University Libraries Open Access Publishing Fund. Funds are released after the article is accepted by the publisher, provided a publication date, and the author has provided an invoice to Fund Administrators.
- Applications will be accepted as long as funding is available. When funds are exhausted, the fund will be closed until next academic year.
- Articles co-authored with authors from other institutions will only be supported if the Purdue author is the primary, lead or corresponding author.
- As a condition of the Open Access Publishing Fund, authors must agree to submit a post-review copy of the article to Purdue e-Pubs with open access permissions. Authors are encouraged to submit to open access disciplinary-based repositories as well.
- Authors are strongly encouraged to include the following statement in the author’s acknowledgements and in the Purdue e-Pubs description field: “Publication of this article was funded in part by Purdue University Libraries Open Access Publishing Fund.”
- Only scholarly peer-reviewed journal articles will be considered for funding.
- Eligible publications must provide free, immediate, online access to the full text of the research article upon publication without restrictions.
- Eligible journals may include those listed in reputable indices, such as the Directory of Open Access Journals; or, publishers that are generally compliant with publishing best practice and the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association’s Code of Conduct.
- Journals must be peer-reviewed.
- Journals must make their standard fee schedules publicly accessible.
- Journals must be fully Open Access. “Hybrid” open-access publishing, in which a subscription-based journal makes some articles available after an author pays fees, are not eligible.
- Any journal or publisher whose legitimacy is in doubt may require greater scrutiny by authors and Purdue University Libraries.
- Ultimately, the eligibility of the journal is the purview of the administrators of the Purdue University Libraries Open Access Publishing Fund