- Center for Watershed Protection - works with local, state, and federal governmental agencies, environmental consulting firms, watershed organizations, and the general public to provide objective and scientifically sound information on effective techniques to protect and restore urban watersheds.
- Conservation and Environmental Maps - exploration and land use in the US. These historic and recent maps will be of great interest to ecologists, as they show "changes in the landscape, including natural and man-made features, recreational and wilderness areas, geology, topography, wetland area, vegetation, and wildlife."
- Consortium for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) - specializes in global and regional network development, science data management, decision support, and training, education and technical consultation services. Offers several free data sets on the Downloadable Data page. The first set is its GIS formatted data, which includes the Central American Vegetation/ Land Cover Classification and Conservation Status, China Dimensions, Georeferenced Population Data Sets of Mexico, Grided Population of the World, Last of the Wild, Human Footprint, and US PUMA and TIGER files. Non-GIS formatted data include an Archive of Census Related Products and an Environmental Sustainability Index, which is a measure of overall progress towards environmental sustainability.
- Earth Observatory - NASA's Earth Observatory is to provide a freely-accessible publication on the Internet where the public can obtain new satellite imagery and scientific information about our home planet. The focus is on Earth's climate and environmental change.
- Enviromapper -- EPA [OpenLink]
- Environmental Media Services (EMA)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Environmental Science Division (Oak Ridge National Lab.)
- Environmental Studies (Academic Info - metasite)
- GeoIndex: a Search Engine for Geo-Environmental Professionals
- Indiana Dept. of Environmental Management
- Indiana Dept. of Natural Resources
- Indiana Natural Resources Commission (NRC)
- NASA's Planetary Photojournal
- NOAA - National Weather Service
- NOAA - Operational Significant Event Imagery - New satellite images of "significant environmental events
- Polar Operational Environmental Satellite (POES) - NOAA, Comprised of several components (namely, the Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR) and the Tiros Operational Vertical Sounder (TOVS)), these satellites make nearly polar orbits daily, providing global coverage of land, ocean, and atmospheric data
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Surf Your Watershed
- USGS-EarthShots: Satellite Images of Environmental Changes
- Wetlands Functions and Values -- EPA Watershed Academy, explores the ecological and societal benefits and values that wetlands provide, such as fish and wildlife habitats, natural water quality improvement, flood storage, shoreline erosion protection, opportunities for recreation and aesthetic appreciation
- WetNet - goal of the Texas Wetland Information Network (WetNet) project is to allow easier access to online wetland-related information.
Back to top
Environmental Photos (royalty-free with proper credit given)
Back to top
- Chemistry of Water
- Global River Discharge Database
- Indiana Annual Data Report, Water Resources Data Report (USGS)
- Water Resources of Indiana
- Indiana Division of Water The IDNR, Division of Water is charged by the State of Indiana to maintain, regulate, collect data, and evaluate Indiana's surface and ground water resources.
- Indiana Water Resources
- Indiana Water Resources. Annual Water Data Report (USGS)
- Internet Resources for Water (metasite) by Robert J. Teeter, from Issues in Sci. and Tech. Librarianship
- Missouri River InfoLINK - a clearinghouse for Missourt River Information, by the USGS
- Montana Water - offers information regarding issues related to water in Montana and nationally
- National Geodetic Survey defines and manages the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS) - the framework for latitude, longitude, height, scale, gravity, orientation and shoreline throughout the United States. NSRS provides the foundation for transportation, communication, and defense systems, boundary and property surveys, land records systems, mapping and charting, and a multitude of scientific and engineering applications.
- River Watch (Mississippi River Basin)developed by three regions* from the National Weather Service in order to make it easier to get all of your Mississippi mainstem river forecast information from one central location. Click on the river basin of your choice to get the updated stages and forecasts.
- SPARROW - SPAtially Referenced Regressions On Watershed Attributes Modeling of Surface-Water Quality (USGS)
- USGS Water Resources of the United States
- Universities Water Information Network (UWIN) (metasite), by S. Illinois Univ.-Carbondale and Univ. Council on Water Resources
- Water Librarians Homepage (metasite) by Robert Teeter
- Water Resources Center Archives (UC Berkeley)
- Water Resources of the United States (USGS)
- Water Resources of the Western United States (USGS)
Back to top