Government Information, Political Science, & Economics Librarian, Professor of Library Science
Purdue University Libraries HSSE
504 West State Street, West Lafayette IN 47907-2058
Phone: (765) 494-2837
Government publications on U.S. foreign policy and national security as well as various aspects of U.S., Canadian and European political, diplomatic, and military history.
Reading, travel, music, hiking, sports
Honors and Awards
Chair, Indiana Networking for Documents and Information of Government Organizations (INDIGO) 1998-1999
Society for Military History
Government Documents Roundtable (GODORT)
*GODORT Education Committee (1998-1999)
*GODORT Legislation Committee (2000-2001)
*GODORT Rare & Endangered Government Publications Committee (2002-2003)
Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
Indiana Networking for Documents and Information of Government Organizations(INDIGO)
Editor, INDIGO newsletter and here
Indiana Historical Society
Texas State Historical Association
- Geopolitics: A Guide to the Issues. 2011. Will be part of this publisher's Contemporary Military, Strategic, and Security Issues series.
- "Purdue Libraries professor has fourth book published" Purdue University News. April 27, 2011.
- "This volume will be useful for undergraduate and graduate collections that support programs in political geography, history, international studies, and political Science." Choice (September 2011).
- Military Doctrine: A Reference Handbook. Praeger Security International. October 31, 2009 publication date.
- "Purdue librarian pens book on military doctrine Purdue University News. October 1, 2009.
- "Indispensable for a researcher starting to work with military materials, whether in military history or in areas related to security and policy." DTTP: Documents to the People, 38 (1)(Spring 2010).
- Referred to by U.S. Naval War College Professor Andrew Erickson on his blog (Sept. 2009).
- :This specialized research guide is suitable for the reference or circulating collections of academic and large public libraries...Recommended. Upper-level undergraduates and above; general readers. Choice March 2010.
- Space Warfare and Defense: A Historical Encyclopedia and Research Guide. ABC-CLIO, 2008.
- "...brings together in one place a lot of information...in scattered sources...recommended for academic and large public libraries as well as interested special collections." ARBA Online
- "This encyclopedia and guide offers an excellent overview of space warfare/defense and...a portal to further information on this key topic. Highly Recommended." Choice-October 2008.
- The excerpt is "...a useful addition, not only to libraries with military or technical interests, but also to those concerned with international affairs..." Reference Reviews 23 (1)(2009).
- "...provides an excellent historical overview of the subject of military activities in the space environment...It adds another dimension to the resource knowledge base, since it brings together and provides encyclopedic coverage for many of the significant programs, policies, and resources which the field encompasses. This book provides a solid starting point for becoming knowledgeable about the subject of the military in space." Government Information Quarterly, 27 (2)(2010).
- "This significant and comprehensive treatise provides layman and expert alike a voluminous amount of data, both historical and contemporary, on space weapons and their development...The book will serve as a valuable primary resource...about the relationship of space to national security." Air and Space Power Journal, 24 (4)(Winter 2010).
- Researching National Security and Intelligence Policy. Congressional Quarterly (CQ) Press, (2004).
- "...offers a timely, comprehensive research guide that covers the literature of national security and intelligence policy and spans governmental and scholarly resources...Librarians in particular will appreciate the final chapter, which provides an annotated list of commercially available national security-related indexes, journals, and monographic series, and a list of scholars in the field. An extensive index, boxed features on policy issues, and a list of acronyms add to the guide's usefulness. Summing Up: Highly recommended. All libraries." (Choice-April 2005).
- "...a highly useful book for anyone beginning or continuing their search through the maze of governmental and non-governmental organizations that develop policy. (Documents to the People-Summer 2005).
- "...a unique comprehensive resource on what has always been important but now has become a more visible topic. This work is recommended for academic and large public libraries." (American Reference Books Annual 2005).
- "...a veritable cornucopia of sources and ratings of their effectiveness...The author has done yeoman's service to writer's within the defense and national security arena...this work is current and highly recommended." (Air & Space Power Journal-Fall 2005)
- "...useful for researchers...there is no other resource that covers a comparable selection of organizations and agencies" Legal Information Alert-February 2005).
- "...a comprehensive resource that serves well as both a ready reference tool and, most importantly, as a guide to those embarking on substantive research in this complex subject area...This is a highly recommended resource." (Government Information Quarterly-23 (2)(2006).
- "Agriculture: A Review of Federal and Indiana State Information Resources." Indiana Libraries,29 (1)(2010): 75-89.
- "Transportation: A Review of Federal and Indiana State Information Resources." Indiana Libraries, 29 (1)(2010): 64-74.
- "Energy: A Review of Federal and Indiana State Information Resources." Indiana Libraries, Indiana Libraries, 29 (1)(2010): 56-63.
- "Naval Blockade (U.S.) of Cuba," in Encyclopedia of the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars, (Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2009): 150.
- "Civil War in Indiana," and "Mirabeau Lamar," in The United States at War, ABC-Clio, Forthcoming.
- "Oliver Hazard Perry Throck Morton," in U.S. Leadership in Wartime: Clashes, Controversy, and Compromise, Spencer Tucker ed. (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2009): Volume 1:351-352.
- "The Bureau of Industry and Security: Administering U.S. Government Export Control Policy." Government Information Quarterly, Forthcoming.
- "Web-Based Military Newspapers in War: Providing Insights into Soldiers Thoughts and Activities." Proceedings Federal Depository Library Conference. Washington, DC-October 23, 2006.
- "Initial Visions of Paradise: Antebellum U.S. Government Documents on the South Pacific." Journal of Government Information, 30 (5-6)(2004): 727-50. (also includes supplemental material not published in article.)
- "Exploring an Unknown Gold Mine: U.S. Government Documents on National Security Policy." Indiana Libraries, 22 (1)(2003): 9-17.
- "The Revolution in Military Affairs: A Resource Guide." Bulletin of Bibliography, 59 (1) (March 2002): 1-25.
- "Assessments of China´s Military: A Resource Guide." Bulletin of Bibliography, 58 (3) (September 2001): 145-158.
- "US-China National Security Relationship: A Resource Guide." Collection Building, 28 (3) (2001): 131-143.
- The Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board's first Decade, Journal of Government Information, Volume 27 (3) May-June 2000, pgs. 345-383.
- "Immigration: An Overview of Information Resources." Reference Services Review, 28 (3) (2000): 268-289.
- "The Department of Energy´s Foreign Visitor´s Program: Scientific Inquiry vs. National Security." Documents to the People (DTTP), 28 (3) (2000): 11-17.
- The 1907 Admission of Land-Grant University Depository Libraries: A 90-year Perspective, Journal of Government Information, Volume 26, Issue 4, 8 July 1999, pgs. 385-404.
- "Campaign Finance Information: An Overview of Print and Internet Resources," Reference Services Review, 27 (3) (1999): 300-312.
- "Asbury Francis Lever." In American National Biography, John A. Garraty and Mark C. Carnes, eds., 13:540-41. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.www.anb.org/articles/06/06-00367.html
- Wright State University's Service Ideal Statement and Depository Libraries: More Questions Than Answers, Government Information Quarterly, Volume 15, Issue 1, 1998, pgs. 97-100.
- Naval History. U.S. Government Printing Office Browse Topics. www.library.okstate.edu/govdocs/browsetopics/navalhis.html 1997-Present
- Intelligence Agencies. U.S. Government Printing Office Browse Topics. www.library.okstate.edu/govdocs/browsetopics/intell.html 1997-Present
- "Post-Cold War National Security Policy: A Survey of U.S. Government Print and Internet Literature." Reference Services Review, 24(3)(1996): 37-52, 60.
- "Purdue University's GPO Access Gateway: Origins and Evolution." Proceedings of the 5th Federal Depository Library Conference April 15-18, 1996. Marian W. MacGilvray, ed. (Washington, DC: GPO, 1996):118-20. www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/pubs/proceedings/proceed.html#27
- "Nuclear Proliferation: An Annotated Bibliographic Guide." Reference Services Review, 23 (1)(1995): 53-69, 82.
- "Political Science and Government." In Texas Reference Sources: A Selective Guide. Walter Bell, ed. 4th ed. (Austin, TX: Texas Library Association Reference Roundtable, 1994): 111-114.
- "Serials of the Energy Information Administration." Serials Review, 19 (3)(1993): 53-62.
- "The Origins and Development of Jane's Fighting Ships." Reference Services Review, 21 (1)(1993): 71-78.
- "The Use of Census CD-ROMs in Texas Depository Libraries." Texas Library Journal, 68 (3)(Fall 1992): 97-100.
- "Willing to Provide But Unable to Support: The Dilemma of Smaller Depositories in an Electronic Era." Government Information Quarterly, 9 (1)(1992): 81-87.
- For American Reference Books Annual, Government Information Quarterly, Journal of Business & Finance Librarianship, and Journal of Government Information.
- M.A. Thesis (Unpublished) "Disraeli and Bismarck at the 1878 Congress of Berlin: A Study in Realpolitik." University of Toledo, 1986.
- Understanding and Researching the U.S. Farm Bill. United States Agricultural Information (USAIN) Conference. West Lafayette, IN. May 11, 2010.
- 2010 and Historic Census Resources. Purdue Libraries Brownbag, West Lafayette, IN. May 5, 2010.
- Useful Government Information Resources for Public Librarians. Indiana Library Federation District 2 Conference. Kokomo, IN. April 30, 2010.
- U.S. Government Resources on Space Warfare and Defense. U.S. Government Printing Office. Federal Depository Library Conference. Kansas City, MO. April 2, 2008.
- Northern Lights: Introduction to Canadian Art. Wabash Artists Alliance. June 6, 2007. Lafayette, IN
- Purdue Depository Libraries Centennial and Indiana Government Document Light Archive. Lafayette Noon Optimist Club. May 16, 2007. West Lafayette, IN.
- Web-Based Military Newspapers in War: Providing Insight into Soldiers Thoughts and Activities. U.S. Government Printing Office. Federal Depository Library Conference. Washington, DC. October 23, 2006.
- Art from 19th Century U.S. Government Exploring Expeditions. Wabash Artists Alliance. November 2, 2005. West Lafayette, IN.
- National Security Information Resources. Indiana Library Federation. Indiana Library Federation Conference. March 23, 2005. Indianapolis, IN.
- Government Information Overview. Lafayette Noon Optimist Club. March 2, 2005. West Lafayette, IN.
- Overview of book Researching National Security and Intelligence Policy, INDIGO Fall Conference, November 19, 2004. Indianapolis.
- Government Information Resources: Department of Defense, Military Agencies, and Department of Homeland Security. Indiana University School of Library and Information Science Lecture. June 2, 2004. Indianapolis.
- " Military Intelligence Not an Oxymoron: Curricular and Research Literature of U.S. Armed Services War Colleges." Purdue Libraries Seminar Committee Brown Bag, April 23, 2004.
- "Indiana Local Government in Cyberspace." Purdue University. Multimedia Instructional and Development Center. Teaching, Learning, and Technology Showcase 2001. February 28, 2001.
- "Government Information Reference Services: New Roles and Models for the Post-Depository Era." (Panel presentation). U.S. Government Printing Office. Federal Depository Library Conference. Washington, DC. October 24, 2000.
- "City on a Hill: Indiana Local Governments in Cyberspace." American Library Association Annual Conference. Government Documents Roundtable (GODORT) State and Local Government Documents Task Force. Chicago, IL. July 8, 2000.
- "Purdue Libraries GPO Access Gateway." Purdue University. Multimedia Instructional Development Center. Teaching, Learning, and Technology Showcase 2000. February 29-March 1, 2000
- "Purdue Libraries Documents Department Homepage." North Central Association Accreditation Site Visit. Purdue University, November 15, 1999.
- "Government Web Sites on Spasmodic Dysphonia." Lafayette/Tippecanoe County Spasmodic Dysphonia Support Group. Romney, IN. October 3, 1999.
- "Access Indiana (Indiana State Government Homepage)." INDIGO Government Documents Tour. Allen County Public Library-Fort Wayne, IN. August 13, 1999.
- "Purdue Libraries Documents Department Homepage." Multimedia Instructional Development Center-Teaching, Learning, and Technology Showcase. Purdue University, March 2, 1999.
- "Key Government Websites." Indiana Library Federation Conference. Indianapolis, IN. April 7, 1998.
- "U.S. Department of Defense Defenselink WWW Server." INDIGO Fall Conference. Indianapolis, IN. October 25, 1996. http://www.defenselink.mil/
- "Foreign Government WWW Servers." INDIGO Spring Conference. Indianapolis, IN. May 17, 1996.
- "Purdue University's GPO Access Gateway: Origins and Evolution." U.S. Government Printing Office, Federal Depository Library Conference. Washington, DC. April 17, 1996. www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fdlp/pubs/proceedings/proceed.html#27
- "GPO Access." Indiana University Library. Bloomington, IN. December 1, 1995. http://www.gpoaccess.gov/index.html
- "U.S. Documents of THORplus at Indiana Networking for Documents and Information of Government Organizations (INDIGO)." Fall Conference. Indianapolis. November 17, 1995.
Favorite Political & Other Sites
Faith Presbyterian Church
Mo-Ranch (Hunt, TX)
Becky Chapman's Art & Design & here
Brent Chapman Consulting
Conservative Librarian (My blog-Courtesy Townhall.com)
Republican National Committee
British Conservative Party
Conservative Party of Canada
International Democrat Union (Coalition of international Conservative and Christian Democratic Parties)